Ingredients for the caramel (for the bottom of the cake)
3 apple (peel and slice)
3/4 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of water
1) Butter a 9" baking pan and arrange the cut apples on the pan.
2) Cook the sugar and water on high heat until it became light brown caramel.
3) Pour evenly over the apple slices and set aside.
Ingredients for the cake
6 tbsp of butter
1/2 cup of sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup of sour cream
1/2 tsp of vanilla
zest of a lemon (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup of flour
1/8 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1) Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2) Add in eggs one at the time and continue to beat.
3) Add in lemon zest, sour cream and vanilla. Mix well.
4) Sift flour, baking powder and salt and add into the batter. Mix until combined.
5) Pour the batter evenly over the apple and bake in 325 F oven for 30-40 min or until cake tester comes out clean.
6) Cool the cake for 15 min before invert the cake onto a flat plate.
7) Serve warm or at room temperature.