Beef chow fun or stir-fry beef in rice noodles is a very popular dish here in the US. Every Chinese restaurant or take out place will have this dish in their menu. Basically it is just beef strips stir-fry with fresh rice noodles (hor fun), bean sprouts and onion. The important factor in making this dish is very hot wok and stir-fry must be done quickly. I like having this dish in the restaurant but they are usually very oily which I am not a fan of that is why I prefer to cook it myself. This way I can control the amount of oil I put into it.
10 oz fresh rice noodles
½ pound flank steak
1 medium onion – sliced thinly
2 cups bean sprout
5 slices ginger
3 cloves garlic – finely chopped
3 spring onions – cut into 1” length
Seasoning for the beef:
1 tsp corn starch
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine – optional
Seasoning for the Noodles:
2 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp thick dark soy sauce
¼ cup chicken stock or water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sliced the flank steak thinly across the grain and marinate it with the seasoning. Set it aside for half and an hour.
2. Cut the rice noodles into half inch thick and rinse it over warm water to remove any access oil. If you are using rice noodles that already been refrigerated you need to soften them up in the microwave for 2 minutes before washing it. Set it aside.
3. Combined the seasonings for the noodles in a bowl and set it aside.
4. Heat up the wok over high heat. Add in 2 tbsp of oil and add in the beef. Lay them flat, do not stir it until they are sear and brown before flipping it over to the over side. Let it sear the other side. Remove from the wok and set aside. This will only take a minute on each side.
5. In the same wok add in another 1 tbsp of oil into the wok. Add in the ginger, garlic and onion. Stir-fry until fragrant and lightly brown.
6. Add in the rice noodles, stir fry them for a minutes. Add in the seasoning mix and continue to stir-fry for another 1 minutes. Add in the spring onions and bean sprouts. Toss and stir until well mix. Check seasonings.
7. When the taste is to your liking, add in the beef. Give it a good stir and mix well for about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and serve immediately.