I don't make bread often as it is easily available from the supermarkets or bakeries. Our supermarket Wegman's here make really good bread. Since I have some kaya and red bean paste I decided to make some buns for Diana so she can warm it up and have it before going for her class. I am really happy with the results as the bread turn out really soft.
500 grams of unbleached flour
a packet of dry yeast
100 grams of sugar
1 tsp of salt
half stick of butter (4 tbsp)
1 large egg
100 ml milk
110 ml water
2 tbsp of water
1) Put all the above ingredients except for butter in a mixer knead with a dough hook to form a dough on low speed.
2) Add in butter and continue to knead for another 5 min.
3) Place dough in a mixing bowl and cover with cling wrap and let it proof to double its size in a warm place.
4) Punch down the dough and divide the dough in small portion about the size of a ping pong ball.
6) Let it rest for another 15 min.
7) Shape dough into desired shape and put in fillings and let it proof again to double its size.
8) Glaze the buns with egg wash and bake in 350 degree F until golden brown.
Note : You might need a bit more flour or liquid for this recipe. It all depend on your flour and the day temperature. You can put whatever fillings you desire.