There are many times where I have to clue of what to cook for dinner. I will just have the door of my fridge open and stare at it for a long time. I came up with this dish on a day like this especially with so many over-ripe tomatoes on the kitchen counter. We eat a lot of tomatoes salad so I tend to overstocked them. I usually left them on the kitchen counter and try finishing them as fast as I can but quite often they get over-ripe so I will end up cooking them. This is a pretty healthy dish actually without any coconut milk in it.
1/2 chicken – removed the fats and skin
2 large tomatoes – cut into chunks
2 stalk lemongrass
3 cm cinnamon stick
Salt and sugar to taste
To be blended:
3 ripe tomatoes
3 red chilies
3 cloves garlic
1. Clean and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Pat it dry.
2. Put the blended ingredients into a food processor and blend into paste. Set it aside.
3. Heat 3 tbsp oil. Add in cinnamon and cloves. Stir-fry until fragrant. Add in the blended paste and stir-fry until the paste dries up a bit.
4. Add in the chicken and lemongrass; continue to stir the chicken until it changes color. At this stage you might need to add in a bit of water, Just enough to cover the chicken. Bring it up to a boil, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender.
5. Add in the tomatoes, sugar and salt to taste. Stir constantly.
6. Cook until the gravy thicken and dries up pretty much. Dish out and serve with warm rice.