I do my grocery shopping once a week and I will buy big bunch bananas to last us for a week and normally towards the end of the week at least 3-4 bananas will be over-ripe. So the over-ripe bananas will end up in my baking. If you are a fan of banana cake and chocolate this cake is for you. This cake is incredibly moist, light and chocolaty. I am submitting this cake to Aspiring Bakers #7: Chocolate Delight (May 2011) , hosted by Doris of Tested & Tasted.
Coffee cake is intended to be served with coffee or for similar breaks and snacks. Under this definition, a coffee cake does not need to contain coffee. They are typically single layer cakes that may be square or rectangular or loaf-shaped rectangular cakes. Coffee cakes are typically flavored with cinnamon, nuts, and fruits. These cakes sometimes have a crumbly or crumb topping called streusel and/or a light glaze drizzle. Some similarity to teacakes may be found, though teacakes are often smaller individual items served with tea
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks/3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (4 bananas)
4 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and line an 8” x 8” square baking pan with parchment paper, overhang on both side (for easy removing your bars later)
2. Combined chocolate chips, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon, salt in small bowl. Mix well and set streusel aside.
3. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time until well incorporated into the butter.
4. Beat in mashed bananas, vanilla and milk. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Do not over beat the mixture.
5. Spread half of batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with half of streusel. Repeat with remaining batter and streusel. Bake the coffee cake for 50 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Cool coffee cake in pan on rack before removing it. Cut into square and serve.