Who doesn’t like cheesecake? Cheesecake may just be the perfect food. It is certainly one of the oldest on record. It is believed that cheesecake was served to the Olympic athletes during the first Olympic Games in 776 B.C. Any food with that kind of staying power just has to have something to it, right?
Anyway, since I bought quite a bit of cream cheese when they went on sale not too long ago, I decided to bake something out of it. Chocolate and coffee is such a great combination. It is a marriage made in heaven. If you are a fan of chocolate, cheesecake and coffee, this is for you. The delicate smooth coffee flavor is complemented by the richness of cheese really well.
Ingredients for the Cake Crust
100 gram flour
½ tsp baking powder
70 gram sugar
1 ½ tbsp dark cocoa powder
100 ml milk
85 gram melted butter
Ingredients for Cappuccino filling
350 gram cream cheese
150 gram mascarpone cheese
50 gram sour cream
120 gram sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
3 eggs – lightly beaten
1 ½ tbsp instant coffee powder + 1 tbsp warm water
Some melted chocolate
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F. Line an 8” x 8” square cake pan with parchment paper overhanging on both side (for easy removing later on) or you can bake this on muffin pan.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl. Add in the sugar and mix well. Combined the milk, egg, melted butter and stir it into the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Pour into the baking pan or muffin pan and bake for 10-15 minutes until the base is done.
3. Remove from oven and let it cool completely. Reduce the oven to 315 degree F.
4. Prepare the filling. Beat cream cheese, mascarpone cheese and sour cream until smooth. Add in the sugar, corn starch and beat for 2 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, beat well after each auditions.
5. Dissolve coffee in the warm water, add it into the cheese mixture and mix well. Pour it over the cake base and bake for 30-35 minutes (if you use muffin pan it will take about 20 -22 minutes) or until set.
6. Remove from oven and let it cool completely before cutting into it. Decorate it with chocolate shaving or strawberries before serving.
Noms I Must.