This is a dish that I cooked often when I want something quick and easy. This is a childhood favorite of mine. My mother used to cook it for us very often. Sometimes she will add mushrooms or potatoes to it. It is an easy Malay dish that tasted absolutely delicious with steamed rice.
1/2 chicken – removed skin, fats and cut into bite size pieces
2 medium size potatoes – peel and cut into quarters
1 small onion
1” fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic
2 spring onions – cut into 1” length
Marinate for chicken
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1 cup water
2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sweet dark soy sauce/kicap manis
1. Marinate chicken for an hour. Heat up about 4 tbsp of oil and pan-fried potatoes until golden brown. Remove and set it aside.
2. Pan-fried the marinated chicken until lightly brown on both side.
3. In the same pan, add in a bit of oil if need and sauté the garlic, onion and ginger until fragrant and lightly brown. Mix all the sauce ingredients and pour it into the pan. Bring it up to boil.
4. Add in the chicken and potatoes. Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are tender. Add in a bit more water if needed. Check seasonings and lastly add in the spring onions.
5. Dish out and serve warm with rice.