It has been many years since I had kaya puffs. This is one snack that I will ask my sisters to bring if they come to visit me but I totally forgotten about it when my youngest sister came to visit in July. In order to get over the craving and also used up my homemade kaya I decided to make these. For non Malaysian/Singaporean readers, kaya is a jam made from coconut milk, sugar and eggs. It is eaten like regular jam or sometimes make into these puffs.
I used the recipe from Kuali but the result was not the same like the one I had back home. The pastry is flaky but on the dry side as I prefer the pastry to be on the tender side but nonetheless it is good enough to get over my craving. I have to try out another recipe soon.
Ingredients for Water dough:
225g plain flour
1 tsp salt
100 ml water
1 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp margarine (I used butter)
Ingredients for Oil dough:
225g plain flour
1. Combine salt, milk powder and water together. Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre, and then pour in combined salted water. Add the egg and margarine. Mix well and lightly combine the ingredients together to form a dough. Leave aside for 30 minutes.
2. For the oil dough, sift flour into a mixing bowl. Add shortening to mix until a dough is formed.
3. Divide both the water and oil dough into an equal number of pieces. Take a piece of oil dough and put it inside the water dough. Wrap up to seal. Use a rolling pin to roll dough flat.
4. Roll up swiss roll-style. Roll out flat again. Roll up swiss roll-style again. Cut into halves. Put one half aside. Take the other half and roll out flat into an oblong shape.
5. Put a tablespoon of kaya onto the rolled out pastry. Fold it into half. Pleat the edges neatly. Place on greased trays. Brush with egg glaze on the surface. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degree F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown in color.
6. Remove from oven and serve hot.
Since this is the last post for the year 2012, I would like to thank all of you for your continuing support and also take this opportunity to wish everyone A Happy New Year 2013!! May you be blessed with good health, wonderful life, cheerful, peaceful, love and wealth.