Since there are still so many nice strawberries around, I decided to make this classic American dessert. Strawberry shortcake is the combination of biscuit, fresh strawberries and cream. This no fuss dessert is great for summer when strawberries are at its peak. You can actually use any type of fruits or berries for your shortcake but the most popular one is the strawberry.
Recipe source: My Kitchen Snippets
2 cups flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter – cut into cubes
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup milk
Filling and topping:
1 ½ pound fresh strawberries
3 tbsp sugar – more if you like it sweeter
1 cup (240 ml) cold heavy whipping cream
1 - 2 tablespoons powder sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degree F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Rub the cold butter into the flour mixture with your fingers until it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
3. Whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla extract and add to the flour mixture, mixing just until the dough comes together. Do not over mix the dough.
4. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently four or five times and then pat or roll the dough into a 7 inch (18 cm) round. With a 3 inch (7 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out rounds and place the scones on the baking sheet.
5. Brush the tops of the scones with a little bit of milk. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of a scone comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6. Filling: Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries. Sliced it and add in the sugar. Set aside to macerate at room temperature for about 30 to 60 minutes.
7. Whipped Cream: Chill the bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes. Place the cream and sugar in the bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. The whipped cream can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for a few hours.
8. To serve: Cut the scones in half and place the bottom half of the scone (soft side up) on a plate. Spread some whipped cream on, top it with some strawberries. Place the top half of the scone on the strawberries. Top with whipped cream and a few more strawberries. Serve immediately.