I always like this type of vegetable fritters. I remember I used to buy them from Jaya Jusco back in Malaysia. I am not sure if they are still selling this fritters at the Japanese food section. Anyway, Kakiage is a member of the tempura family, though these mixed vegetable fritters are less complicated to make than is usual for tempura. Kakiage is great to make when you need to use up the vegetables remaining in your fridge, like onions, carrots, bean sprouts, zucchini, sweet potato and etc. You can eat them on their own with your favorite dipping sauce or simple serve them with rice or a simple bowl of soba or udon noodles.
From My Kitchen Snippets
10 shrimps – peel and deveined
1 zucchini - grated and squeeze out the water
1 small carrot - grated
1 small onion - sliced thinly
1 cup bean sprouts
1 red chili - chopped
3 spring onions – cut small
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup rice flour
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp baking powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In mixing bowl, mix all the batter ingredients until well combined. Set it aside to rest for 15 minutes.
2. In the meantime, clean the shrimps and give it a rough chop. Prepare the vegetables.
3. Heat up some oil for frying. Add all the cut vegetables and shrimps to the batter. Mix well.
4. Once the oil is hot enough, put a spoonful of the batter into the oil. Fry the fritters on both sides until golden brown.
5. Remove and drain the oil on paper towels. Serve immediately and enjoy it while it is still warm.
Note: You can use any type of vegetables for this fritters. Sometimes I will add sweet potatoes, beans, asparagus or whatever I can find in my fridge to it.
WISHING ALL MY MUSLIM
FRIENDS AND READERS
" SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDILFITRI AND TO ALL MALAYSIAN HAPPY MERDEKA "