This is a very simple savory scones recipe. They are wonderful served hot, spread with a little butter and eaten alongside of a steam bowl of hot soup.
2 cups of flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
3 tbsp of butter
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
2 slices of ham - roughly chopped (optional)
1/4 cup of oil packed sundries tomatoes - finely chopped
1 egg - beaten
3/4 cup of half and half or milk (more or less) + 2 tbsp of glazing
2 tbsp of sesame seeds
1) Heat oven to 375 degree F. Lightly greased a baking sheet.
2) In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3) Rub in butter lightly into the flour with finger tips until mixtures resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
4) Stir in cheese, ham and sundries tomatoes. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add in egg and then the milk slowly. Just enough for the mixture to come together.
5) Gently mix until just combined. Turn the mixture out on a lightly flour counter top and knead lightly and briefly. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
6) Press the dough to form 1" thickness. Cut the dough with a round cookie cutter.
7) Place in the baking sheet and brush the top with some milk and sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
8) Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown. Serve warm.
Note : It is important not to over handle these scones, as they will be heavy and tough. You can add some freshly chopped parsley or spring onions to the scones too.