Pumpkin is a very versatile vegetable and you can cook it in many ways. You cake make pie, soup, kueh, dishes and etc from it. It can either be a sweet or savory dish. I like cooking a one pot meal on my lazy days especially pumpkin rice. You will have carbohydrate from rice, protein from chicken and fibre from your pumpkin. For this dish instead of rice I used glutinous rice and is just as good.
500 grms of glutinous rice - soak for at least 4 hours
5 pieces of dry shitake mushroom - soak in hot water and slice
2 pieces of chicken thigh
200 grms of pumpkins - cut into cubes
5 shallots - sliced
2 cloves of garlic - chopped
1" of ginger - finely chopped
Some water or chicken stock
2 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tbsp of black soy sauce
2 tbsp of light soy sauce
1 tbsp of cooking wine
salt and pepper to taste
1) Cut chicken to bite size pieces and marinate it with seasoning and set aside for an hour.
2) Heat some oil in the wok and fry shallots until golden brown. Dish out and set aside for garnish.
3) In the same wok stir fry garlic and ginger lightly brown and fragrant.
4) Add in chicken and and mushroom and stir fry until chicken turn pale or half cook.
5) Add in glutinous rice and stir fry for a minute. Add in water or chicken stock just enough to cover the rice. Bring to boil and check seasoning.
6) Add in pumpkin and cover wok and simmer in low heat. Stir rice occasionally.
7) When the rice is done, serve the rice with some spring onions and fried shallots.