How time fly and tomorrow will be the last day of Chinese New Year. It is also known as Chap Goh Meh (15th day of CNY) in Hokkien dialect. I didn’t do anything this CNY but I am planning to make some pineapple tarts and maybe another type of cookie as Diana will be flying in for a visit so I can give her some to take back to NY. Is already a week since we move into our new home and I am starting to venture out on my own. There is a supermarket near our house that sells really cheap produce. All the vegetables and fruits are so much cheaper than other supermarkets. I bought a whole bunch of Tangerine for only $0.58 a pound. They were super sweet and delicious. I decided to use it to make some scones for our breakfast. Actually this is my very first bake from our new home. I still have to get to know my oven as it work a bit different from the one at PA. These scones were so light and fragrant that Carlos had 2 right after it came out of the oven and don't they look great to serve them on Valentine's Day?
2 ¼ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
113 gram/1/2 cup cold butter – cut into cubes
½ cup + 2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp tangerine zest
¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
3 tbsp tangerine juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line the sheet pan with parchment paper. Beat the egg and add in the milk and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, combined flour, baking powder, salt and tangerine zest. Mix well. Add in the cold butter, rub the butter and flour together with your fingers until it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
3. Add in the milk mixture, mix until it comes together. Pour the dough out on a well-flour work surface. Knead lightly to form a ball. Flour your hand and pat out the dough to ¾” thick.
4. Using a knife or a cookie cutter cut into desired shapes. Place the scones on the baking pan. Collect the scraps of dough and roll it out and cut into shapes again.
5. Brush the top of the scones with a bit of milk and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until lightly brown and the insides are fully baked. The scones should be firm to touch.
6. For the glaze mix both ingredients together.
6. Allow the scones to cool down before drizzling the glaze on it. Serving it with some jam and butter.