18 more days and we will move out of this house and I am a bit overwhelmed now. Zue came and visit me today and I gave her my curry and kaffir lime plants. It saddens to see it go but I can’t bring the plant into CA but I know Zue will take good care of it. I tried packing up as much as I could especially the personal stuffs and the rest I am just going to leave it for the packers and movers. Carlos will be home next weekend and take care and co-ordinate the move. I miss him a lot and it is no fun being all alone here. I can’t wait to see him. Anyway, back to the galette.
This past two weeks I’ve been trying to clear up my freezer and fridge. Man, there was so much crap I freeze in there ha ha.. From meat, seafood, fruits, vegetables, pastries and etc.. I can use all of it to feed an army without buying anything from the supermarket. I made this galette with some the leftover turkey sausage and pastry I had in there. Galette is a free form pastry that can be filled with savory or sweet fillings. They can be served as appetizer, a meal or dessert. It is incredibly versatile and simply delicious.
Short crust pastry – recipe here
3 links turkey sausage – remove the casing
8 oz cremini or white button mushrooms –wiped clean and sliced
1 clove garlic – chopped
1 small onion – sliced thinly
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup cube cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp chili flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat up the frying pan with a 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add in the turkey sausages and try breaking it up into small piece with the spatula. Stir and cook until lightly brown. Remove and set it aside.
2. In the same pan, add in the garlic and onion. Add a little bit more oil if needed. Sauté until soft and fragrant.
3. Add in the cremini mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until soft and the liquid from the mushrooms has completely evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Add in the chili flakes, salt and pepper, sausage and parsley. Continue to sauté for another minute. Remove from the pan and let it cool.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degree F. Roll the dough on a floured surface to make a 10-inch circle. Place on a baking sheet. Spread the mushroom mixture over the dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border around the edge. Top it with the cheese. Fold the uncovered edge of the pastry over the mushrooms and cheese, pleating it to make it fit.
5. There will be an opening in the center of the tart. Brush the pastry with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. After 5 minutes, slide the galette onto a serving plate. Serve hot, warm or room temperature.