I made these during the 4th July weekend for our breakfast with some leftover blueberries from the Summer Berries Sour Cream Tea Cake . These scones are perfectly light, tender, buttery and bursting with fresh blueberries. Now who can resist this especially with the blueberries oozing out of the scones. Carlos had two of it with some butter once it came out of the oven. It is that good :)
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick/113 gram cold butter – cut into small cubes
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp sour cream
1 1/2 cups blueberries - can be fresh or frozen
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line the baking pan with parchment paper. Combined the egg, sour cream and milk. Mix well and set it aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, combined flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add in the cold butter, rub the butter and flour together with your fingers until it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
3. Add in the milk mixture, mix until it comes together. Add in the blueberries. Pour the dough out on a well-flour work surface. Knead lightly to form a ball. Flour your hand and with hands pat out the dough to ¾” thick.
4. Using a knife or a cookie cutter cut into desired shapes. Place the scones on the baking pan. Collect the scraps of dough and roll it out and cut into shapes again.
5. Brush the top of the scones with a bit of milk and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly brown and the insides are fully baked. The scones will be firm to touch.
6. Allow the scones of cool down a bit before serving it with some jam and butter.
Note: You can freeze the shaped scones before baking. It can be bake straight from the freezer. These would be the perfect thing to have on hand for unexpected guests.