I made this cake for my neighbor for her birthday a few months ago. It is just a simple sponge cake with Dulce De Leche cream frosting. This is the same frosting I used for Carlos birthday cake . Everyone seems to like this frosting a lot when they tasted Carlos cake so I used it again for Nancy’s cake. Thanks to Wendy for sharing the frosting recipe. Sorry I can’t show you how the cake looks like on the inside as I forgot to ask Nancy to take a picture of it.
Source: My Kitchen Snippets
6 egg yolks
30 gram sugar
60 ml fresh milk
60 ml melted butter
120 gram cake flour
¼ tsp salt
6 egg whites
70 gram sugar
1. Line and greased 2 8” round baking pan. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F. Sift cake flour and salt together and set it aside.
2. In a mixer with whisk attachment, whisk egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Slow down and mixer and drizzle in the oil, milk and mix well combined. Fold in the flour and mix until combined. Set aside.
3. In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites and sugar until it reach stiff peak form. Hand folds the egg whites into the egg yolks mixture in 3 batches. Mix well.
4. Pour into the prepared pans and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Set it aside to cool completely before frosting.
Dulce De Leche Cream
Adapted from Table for 2
350ml whipping cream, cold
3/4 dulce de leche
2/3 tsp gelatin
1 tbsp of water
1. Combined gelatin and water. Warm it up in the microwave for 10 seconds. Mix it and set it aside to cool
2. Freeze the mixing bowl and whisk for 5 minutes before using. Put DDL into the mixing bowl and add in a bit of cream. Over low speed, whisk until combined and add in more cream gradually.
3. Once all the cream has been added turn the mixer to high speed and whisk until soft peaks.
4. Lower down the mixer speed and add in the gelatin mixture. Continue to whisk until stiff.
5. Frost the cake immediately.