Love is definitely in the air and you can see many bloggers posting all kinds of dessert for the occasion. That got me motivated to bake something too. This homemade Valentine’s treats are the sweetest way to say ‘I Love You’ to everyone special in your life and not only that as I am sure your valentine will appreciate the effort you’ve put into it. Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!!
1 stick/113 gram soft butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp red gel paste food coloring
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp distilled white vinegar
8oz /227 gram Mascarpone cheese
2 tbsp butter
1 ½ cups confectioner sugar – sifted
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 small muffin tins (12 muffins on each) with paper liners.
2. Sift cake flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt together and set it aside.
3. Cream sugar and butter over medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time beating until each is incorporated. Scraping down the side of the bowl as needed.
4. Add in the vanilla and food color. Mix until combined. Reduce the speed of the mixer; add in the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of butter milk. Mix until combined.
5. Combined the baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl (it will foam). Add into the batter, mix on medium speed for 10 seconds.
6. Divide batter evenly among the lined cups, filling each three-quarter full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through until cake tester inserted in the centers comes out clean. This will take about 15-20 minutes (depend on the size of your muffin tin.
7. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
Cream butter and mascarpone cheese for 2-3 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the sugar and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. Frost it over cool cupcakes.
Note: For the frosting, instead of using Mascarpone Cheese you can always change it to cream cheese.
I am submitting this post to "Aspiring Bakers #4: Love In The Air! (Feb 2011)", hosted by Cuisine Paradise