I have a packet of filo pastry in my freezer from God knows when. I thought of making Baklava with it but change my mind when I saw some leftover roast chicken in my fridge. I gather a few extra ingredients from the fridge and decided to make these parcels. It is not that difficult to make these. The only tricky part of this is working with the filo pastry but once you get the hang of it – it’s easy. You can serve this as an appetizer or like us have it for our dinner with some salad.
12 - 14 sheets of filo pastry
5 tbsp melted butter
For the Filling:
1 box of 8 oz frozen chopped spinach – thawed
A cup of cooked chicken cubes
½ cup grated cheddar
3 tbsp cream cheese
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 small tomato – removed seeds and finely diced
½ tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepared a baking sheet pan and line it with some aluminium foil. Set it aside.
2. Squeezed out all excess liquid from the spinach. Combined all the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
3. Take a piece of filo dough (cover the rest with a damp cloth (to prevent it from drying out) and lay it on a work surface. Brush it lightly with some melted butter.
4. Fold it into 3, you will get 3 layers of filo, place about 1 ½ tbsp of filling at the lower corner of the pastry, forming a small triangle. Fold the triangle over again, along its bottom edge. Keep folding until you have fully wrapped the filling in a triangle.
5. Repeat until all the filling has been used. Brush the triangle with oil/butter and place it on baking sheet pan.
6. Repeat with the remaining sheets and filling. Bake for about 8-10 mins or until golden brown