I miss baking! Since started working I can hardly find time to do any baking. On my off day I have to run errands, grocery shopping, laundry, ironing and housework. It was difficult the first two weeks but now I am getting the hang of it and managed my time well and Carlos helps a lot too. I am thankful for that. I bake this plain old orange butter cake at the spur of the moment last week right after I came home from work. It is nothing fancy with just few ingredients that I can find in my pantry and fridge. The most important about butter cake is make sure you use good butter for it. This cake is rich and moist and great with my morning cup of coffee before heading out to work.
227gram/2 sticks butter – room temperature
200 gram sugar
270 gram flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 large eggs
Zest of an orange
5 tbsp orange juice
1. Grease and line an 8” round baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt and set it aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is light and fluffy. Add in the orange zest.
3. Slow down the mixer and slowly add in the flour. Finally stir in orange juice. Mix until well combined.
4. Turn out mixture into prepared tin. Level out mixture at the sides but allow a shallow well in the centre. This is to enable the cake to level up evenly during baking.
5. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.