We love shortbread but I hardly make any because of the high fat content in it. It is so addictive and you can’t stop just having one or two so the best is not to make any of it but I did make some to be given away for Christmas. This way there won’t be much left for our own consumption so we feel less guilty ha ha.. Anyway instead of making plain shortbread I added some dried cherries to it this time. All my friends love these cookies and some of them even asked for the recipe. So here it is.
2 stick/1 cup butter - soften
1/2 cup powder sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp orange zest
3/4 cup dried cherries – chopped
3/4 cup powder sugar
2 tbsp or more orange or lime juice
1. Combined the flour and salt. Mix well. Cream butter and powder sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the orange zest and mix well.
2. Add in the flour and mix until combined. Lastly add in the dried cherries. Mix well. Wrap the dough up and chill it for 2 hours or until it is firm enough to roll out.
3. Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
4. Roll the dough out to about 1/4" thick and cut it into desired shape. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove and cool it completely.
5. In the meantime prepare the glaze. Mix the powder sugar and orange juice until smooth. If the glaze is too thick you can add a bit more juice. Once the cookies are cool, brush the glaze to the top of the cookies. Let the glaze dries completely before storing it in an air tight container.