I made this cake using all the leftovers ingredients I have in the fridge. I have some leftover dulce de leche left from the Argentinean Bread Pudding and also some cream cheese. Since there are some over-ripe bananas on the kitchen counter I decided to incorporate it into the cake too. While baking the house was filled with the fragrant aroma of banana and DDL. I really miss that smell as I didn’t do any cake baking for over a month. As for the taste of the cake, it turns out really moist, buttery and delicious. It tastes even better the next day.
150 gram butter
120 gram low fat cream cheese
100 gram sugar
3 large eggs
260 gram flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup dulce de leche
3 bananas – mashed (about 1 ¼ cups)
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Greased and line an 8” round baking pan. In a bowl sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set it aside.
2. Beat the soft butter, cream cheese, DDL and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time and mix until smooth. Mix in mashed bananas and vanilla.
3. Lower down the mixer speed, slowly add in the flour mixture and blend just until smooth.
4. Pour batter into the baking pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing it. Let the cool completely before cutting into it.
Note: As you can see from the pictures I overbaked the cake as I was upstairs doing some work and totally forgoteen about it.