I prepared this for our lunch over the weekend. A little change from our regular homemade pizza I decided to make calzone. Normally calzone is made from pizza dough but I made this with Pillsbury biscuit dough. I always have a tube of biscuits dough in my fridge for days like this when I wanted to make something quick. These were a nice size and easy to eat just with our hands. You can change this recipe to include any fillings you like and it is a great use for leftovers meat you have in hand.
1 tube (8 pieces)Pillsbury biscuit dough
1 chicken breast – cut into small strips
1 red pepper – cut into strips
1 packet – 8 oz frozen chopped spinach – thawed and remove any access water
1/2 cup marinara sauce
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup chopped green olives
Salt and pepper to taste
8 oz part skims Mozzarella cheese – cut into strips
1 egg – beaten for egg wash
1. Heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil in a sauté pan. Add in garlic and sauté until lightly brown and fragrant. Add in the chicken. Cook until the chicken turns grey and add in the red pepper. Continue to stir until pepper slightly tender.
2. Add in the marinara sauce and spinach. Let it cook for 2 minutes and add in the olives. Olives can be quite salty so don’t add any salt until you taste it.
3. Remove from heat and let it cool.
4. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degree F. Remove the biscuit dough from can, take each piece of the dough and roll it out into circle.
5. Put about 2 tbsp of filling in onto half each circle and top it with mozzarella cheese. Fold the dough over filling; press edges together and crimp the edges or seal it with a fork.
6. Place calzones on the baking pan, brush the top with some beaten egg. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crusts are golden brown. Serve warm.
little bouquet of herbs and flower from my garden
Note: If you can’t find the store bought biscuit dough you can always use pizza dough.