I know I bit late in making these as CNY was long gone. I actually made these 3 weeks ago as I don’t have the time to make it for CNY. We were moving from PA to CA during that time so I don't have time to bake anything. Instead of the using enclosed or cut out pineapple tarts I made them into rolls. This time I used the recipe from Jun of Indochine Kitchen with very minor changes and I like it a lot. I made 1 ½ recipe as a recipe don’t yield too many pieces. I re-post the recipe here so I can refer to it whenever I want to make this again. You can go to her website and check out the step by step on how to do this.
300 gram butter
80 gram powder sugar
420 gram flour
60 gram milk powder
30 gram custard powder or corn flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg yolk
2-3 tbsp cold water – if needed
500 gram pineapple jam – recipe refer here
1 egg yolk with 2 tbsp water
1. Line the base of 2 sheet pans with parchment paper. Sift flour, powdered milk, salt and custard/corn flour twice and set it aside.
2. In a mixer bowl, combine butter and sugar. Cream till light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes, over high speed. Add egg yolk, one at a time. Beating well.
3. Add flour mixture into the bowl and beat over low speed until dough comes together. At this stage if the dough is too dry you can add a bit of cold water. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
4. Fill up the pineapple jam into a piping bag fitted with a round tip. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F.
5. Roll out the dough. Work with small badge of dough at a time. Roll dough between plastic sheets to 0.3 cm thickness. Pipe pineapple jam on top of the dough. Roll the dough to cover up the jam completely.
6. Use a pair of scissors to cut them up into 4cm log and arrange on greased pan. Brush with egg wash mixture twice using small pastry brush.
7. Bake in preheated oven till golden, 20-25 minutes. Let cool and store in airtight containers.