General Tso's Chicken, is actually an American creation. It is a sweet deep fried chicken dish served in American Chinese restaurants and also very popular at the buffet line. Regardless of its origin, this is an easy dish to make at home without the gloppy sauce and soggy thick breading that you get from the take out place and you don’t have pay the expensive price for it.
1 pound chicken meat cut into large chunks
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp white pepper
1 egg white
3 tbsp of cornstarch
1 tbsp of oil
4 green onions – cut into thin strip
6 dry hot peppers – cut into ½” length
1 tbsp of chopped ginger
2 cloves of garlic - chopped
2 tsp of cornstarch
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp of sugar (more or less depend on the sweetness you like)
4 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp of white vinegar
2 tbsp of cooking wine
3/4 - 1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp of pepper
1. Mix all the sauce ingredients and set it aside for later use.
2. In separate bowl, mix chicken, soy sauce and white pepper. Set it aside to marinate for 30 minutes. Stir in egg white and add in the cornstarch and mix until chicken pieces are coated evenly.
3. Add the 1 tbsp of oil to the chicken as this will help to separate chicken pieces. Deep fry chicken until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Remove all the oil from the pan and leave about 1 tbsp.
4. Stir-fry garlic, ginger and peppers until fragrant. Stir sauce adding to wok. Bring it up to a boil and when sauce thickens add in the chicken. Stir and toss until chicken pieces well coated with sauce. Add in the spring onions.
5. Dish out and serve with warm rice.