What do you think of these custard buns? They look good isn’t it? Well, I didn’t bake these in the oven. I bake/pan fried it on a frying pan. I found this recipe on YouTube and was intrigued by it. I have some leftover custard cream from my fruit tarts and decided to use it up to by making these. The buns were really soft and good and I will definitely make this again. So if you don’t have an oven you can still make this bread. No excuses :)
Ingredients for the dough:
300 gram bread flour
80 gram cake flour
½ tsp salt
60 gram sugar
5 gram dried yeast
60 ml water
80 ml milk
20 ml cream
40 gram butter – soft
Some filling or your choice (can be red bean paste, nutella, custard crème, coconut and etc)
1. Combined both flours with salt, sugar and dried yeast. Mix well.
2. Warm up the milk, water and fresh cream (do not boil)
3. Add the egg into the flour mixture, mix it slightly, and then add the slightly warm liquid, mix and knead into smooth dough. Add in the butter and continue to knead for another 5 minutes or until the butter incorporated into the dough.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic food wrap and let it proof till double in size. It took me about an hour to proof this.
5. Once the dough is ready, punch down to released the air, cut the dough into 8 pieces. Roll it into a ball and set it to rest for 15 minutes.
6. With a rolling pin, roll the ball of dough out into oval shape, put about a tablespoon of filling in the center, fold the dough over and press down the side to seal. Cover the buns and set it aside to rest until double in size.
7. Heat up a non-stick pan over very low heat, put the bread into the pan, and cover the pan with a lid. Let it bake low and slow for 7-8 minutes and the bread is golden brown at the bottom, turn it over to the other side. Cover the lid again and let it bake till golden brown and cooked.
8. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: You can bake these buns in the pre-heated 375 degree F oven until golden brown.