I am a big fan of yam but I don’t buy it too often it can be quite costly at time. Usually it is around $1.79 - $1.99 a pound and if you buy the vacuum pack peel kind it is about $3.59 a pound. It happen it went on sale a few weeks ago and it was selling at $0.99 a pound so a bought a huge tuber. I used some to cook bubur cha cha and Taro Puffs (recipe coming soon) the rest for this yam kueh. The yams sold here are all good as I have yet to find a bad one. It has a powdery texture and it is really good to make yam kueh. I like a lot of yam in it so I added a bit more to it. Please be cautious when handling yam. I would advise you to wear gloves as it might cause some skin irritation.
Recipe adapted from Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover with minor changes
350g yam, small cubed
250g rice flour
20g tapioca flour
70g dried shrimps, soaked and chopped coarsely
10 shallots, slices thinly
1tsp salt or to taste
½ tsp 5 spice powder
1 tsp chicken stock powder
3/4 tsp white pepper powder
Chopped spring onion
Chopped fresh red chilies
Some fried shallots and dried shrimps
1. Prepare the steamer. Bring water to boil. Greased an 8” x 8” steaming tray or round tray and set it aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, combined the flours, water and all the seasonings. Mix well until batter is smooth with no lumps in it. Set it aside.
3. Heat oil about 4-5 tbsp in a wok, sauté shallots till golden brown, Add in dried shrimps and stir fry till fragrant.
4. Take out half of the mixture for garnishing later. Remove some of the oil; leave about 2 tbsp of it. Add in yam and stir fry for 1min. Pour in the watery batter and cook mixture for 1-2 mins over low heat, stirring all the time, until the mixture turns to a thick paste.
5. Pour the thick batter into a greased steaming tray; smoothen out the surface with a spatula. Place it in the steamer and steam over high heat for 45 minutes.
6. When it is done, remove it from the steamer. Garnish the top with the fried shallots and shrimps, spring onions and chopped chilies.
7. Let it cool completely before cutting into it. Serve with chili sauce.