When I was in Vancouver I tried out blueberry focaccia from one of the famous bakery and they were really good. They made it into small individual serving size but they were not cheap though. A piece with tax cost around $4.00. This bakery is also famous for their grape focaccia. Since it is summer and there are plenty of blueberries around I thought tried to replica this at home. Can you imagine the smell in the house when I was baking this?
Man, it turns out so good if I should say so myself. The focaccia was soft on the inside and with the crunchy sweet sugary topping, I was hooked. I gave a few away and my friends love it too. I am planning to bake this again but it will be with grapes. I think this would be perfect to serve for brunch, cocktail party with some cheese and wine or like me enjoyed it for breakfast with my morning coffee.
Make: 6 pieces
3 cups flour
1 cup lukewarm water
1 packet/7 gram dried yeast
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp melted butter
½ tsp salt
For the Topping:
2 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp melted butter
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Combine warm water, yeast, salt, and 1 tbsp sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 5 minutes until bubbles form on the surface.
2. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add in the rest of the sugar, yeast mixture and melted butter. Mix to a soft dough.
3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 minutes or until smooth. Place into a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Line 2 baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
5. Combine the sugar and lemon zest for the topping. Mix well and set it aside.
6. Punch dough down and divide the dough into 6 pieces. Roll or press it into round disc and place onto the baking tray. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
7. Dimple the dough surface with your fingers, brush the top with melted butter, sprinkle on the sugar mixture and then top it with blueberries.
8. Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until cooked and golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.