This season my fig tree didn’t produce too many fruits and the squirrels got some of it too but it is still enough for me to eat it fresh and reserved some to make this cake. This moist cake is studded with fresh figs. The flavor and texture is similar to a pound cake: buttery, vanilla scented, and just a little dense. The plain yogurt adds a subtle tang to it and it is great to have it with a cup of strong coffee.
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¾ cups/1 ½ sticks unsalted butter – at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¾ cup plain yogurt
1 cup roughly chopped fresh figs
Extra fresh figs for garnish
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set it aside.
2. Greased and line a loaf pan. Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F.
3. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla extract. Add in yogurt until mix until well combined.
4. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add in chopped fig and mix until combined.
5. Pour batter into loaf pan, arrange some cut fresh figs on top and bake until golden and a cake tester comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool completely
6. Garnish with additional figs if desired