I always have a soft spot for scones. It reminds me of home Malaysia where I baked them so often when my two sisters come over to my apartment and we will have English high tea together. I will prepare a few types of finger sandwiches, cakes and scones. They love having English high tea especially Angela. The last time we had high tea together was in Ontario Canada. I miss them a lot.
Now I baked them to share it with very special friend Bonnie. She just loves scones. What special about these scones is the streusel topping. The cinnamon crunchy topping compliments the mild-sweetness from blueberries and it is so hard to resist over eating it. If you have no self control with bake goods, then I have a perfect solution for you. Send some to your family or friends like I did. They will love you for it.
2 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 stick/1/2 cup cold butter – cut into cubes
½ cup + 2 tbsp milk
1 tsp lemon zest
1 ¼ cup blueberry
Ingredients for Streusel
3 tbsp oats
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp soft butter
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degree F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set it aside. In a bowl, mix together all the streusel ingredients until crumbly and set it aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combined flour, sugar, salt, lemon zest and baking powder. Mix well.
3. With your fingers, rub the cold butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Stir in the blueberries.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together egg and ½ cup milk. Add in the liquid into the dry ingredients with a fork lightly mix lightly until the dough comes together. If dough is too dry you can add in the extra milk 1 tbsp at a time. Pour the dough out on a well flour work surface.
5. Lightly bring in all the dough to form in to a ball. Flour your hand and pat down the dough to about ¾” thick. Cut the dough to any shapes with a cookie cutter or knife.
6. Arrange the cut out scones in the baking pan, top it with the streusel and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the scones from oven and cool completely on the cooling rack. In the meantime prepare the glaze.
7. Mix the powder sugar and lemon juice together until you get a smooth glaze. Drizzle it over the scones. Serve