Carlos is not a fan of bread pudding that is why I hardly make any but since I have some leftover homemade Panettone from Christmas so I thought he might like it if I use it in the bread pudding. True enough, he loves it a lot and he finishes most of it. There are many variation of bread pudding out there. Some uses white bread, croissant, donuts, baguette or brioche. Panettone is similar to brioche but with raisings, candied orange and lemon peel in it so it is great to use it in bread pudding. I added extra diced apple in it but you can always omit it.
1 pound panettone bread – cut into ¾” cubes
1 green apple – cut into ½ cubes
2 cups milk
½ cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
½ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
Some sliced almonds for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Lightly toast the bread cubes for 10 minutes. Set it aside.
2. Grease a 9” x 13” baking dish or if you like you can bake it in ramekins.
3. Combine bread cubes, apple in a large bowl. In a separate bowl beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt until combined. Add in the milk and cream. Mix well.
4. Put the bread cubes and apple into the greased baking pan. Pour the egg mixture over the top and coat bread cubes evenly. Press it lightly with a spatula to make sure every piece of bread soak into the milk. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle some almond slices to the top and bake it in the oven for approximately 35-40 minutes or until the custard is set and the top lightly brown.
6. Remove from oven and serve warm or at room temperature.