I love Thai food. There is something about their food that is so addictive. I think it is the taste of sweet, sour, spicy and salty of their dishes and not forgetting all the fresh herbs they used in their cooking. One particular dish that I will order is their salad. It can either be green mango, papaya or their pomelo salad. I’ve visited Thailand countless time and there was once I tasted their green mango and pomelo salad at a buffet restaurant and they were so good. Till today I still think of this particular dish and I am recreating it in my kitchen so I can submit it for the AFF event hosted by Lena of Frozen Wings. This salad with the addition of grill shrimps makes a terrific lunch or even as starter to any Thai or Asian-style meal. You'll find it very unique and refreshing, and so will your guests. ENJOY!
1 small pomelo – remove the skin and white peel
10 shrimps – peel and deveined
1 unripe mango – peel and julienned
3 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp sugar - more if you like it sweeter
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 Thai chilies – cut small
2 kaffir lime leaves – finely sliced
Some fried shallots
½ cup roasted peanuts – roughly chopped
1. Marinate the shrimp with a bit of salt and pepper. Grill until it turns pink and cooked. Set it aside to cool (you can boil the shrimp if you like)
2. Break pomelo into small bite size pieces.
3. Combined the ingredients for dressing in a bowl. Whisk it until well combined.
4. Put the pomelo, mango, shrimp and some cilantro in a salad bowl. Drizzle in the dressing and lightly toss the salad until combined.
5. Put on serving plate and garnish it with some cilantro, peanuts and fried shallots.
Note: If you can’t find pomelo you can always it with grapefruits.
I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest (Thailand)- November Month hosted by Lena of Frozen Wings