I am babysitting my friend Emily little girl this month and so happen Isabel (Bella) birthday was last week. I decided to bake her some cupcakes. I made a batch of vanilla cupcakes but with different frosting. I frosted her cupcakes with Cotton Candy flavor while for the adults I made the raspberry frosting. I think we like the latter better but for Bella she prefers the Cotton Candy frosting.
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice- add acid to the milk then set aside for 5 minutes before using)
Some fresh raspberries for garnish
Ingredients for Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
1 ½ sticks/3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar (depending of your sweetness level & desired consistency)
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a medium bowl, sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and set aside. Prepare the muffin pan and line it with paper liners.
2. In an electric mixer, whisk eggs for 30 seconds and then add in sugar and continue to beat on medium speed about a minute. Add vanilla and oil and continue to beat for 30 seconds.
3. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the milk, then the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined. Scrap down the side of the bowl.
4. The batter will be pretty thin. Pour batter into a muffin pan. Fill liners about 2/3 full. Bake cupcakes in pre-heated oven for 12-14 minutes. You will get 12 large cupcakes. Cool in pan 1-2 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pan (carefully) and finish cooling on a wire rack.
5. Prepare the frosting. In a food processor, puree raspberries until fairly liquefied. Strain to eliminate the seeds. Place butter, half the sugar, and raspberry puree into mixing bowl. Beat over low speed until well-blended.
6. Add the other half of the sugar, Increase speed to medium. Mix until very well-blended and fluffy. The icing will have a different consistency due to the fruit juices. It will spread normally, though. Frost cooled cupcakes and top it with fresh raspberries.
Bella busy decorating her birthday cupcakes