I’ve been craving for chiffon cake for some time now and finally made one the other day. I wanted to try out the strawberry powder I purchased online on this cake. Since I like pandan flavor too so I combined them together. I think the strawberry powder flavor overpower the pandan flavor a little bit. Nevertheless, it turns out pretty good. I like the look of this cake. It makes me happy ;)
3/4 cup sugar
6 large egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Ingredient B :
1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
6 large egg yolks
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
½ tsp pandan paste
1 tbsp strawberry powder
1 few drops pink coloring
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F. Get ready a 9” tube pan. Do not grease the pan. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt together. Set it aside
2. In a mixing bowl, mix egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy. Add in vegetable oil and milk. Mix well. Fold in the flour mixture and mix well. Divide this mixture into 2. One portion mix in the strawberry powder and a few drop of pink coloring. The other portions mix in the pandan paste. Mix well.
3. Whisk ingredients A in an electric mixer until light and stiff. Divide the egg white mixture equally into 2. Fold one portion gently into the strawberry batter and the other half into the pandan batter.
4. Pour half of the strawberry batter into the tube pan, spread it evenly, and pour half of the pandan batter on top of the strawberry batter, follows by strawberry batter, and then the pandan batter.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake is well browned and skewer comes out clean when tested. Remove cake from oven, invert the baking pan immediately. Leave it to cool completely.
6. To remove the cake, run a long sharp knife to the side and bottom of the baking pan. Cut and serve.
Note: If you don’t have strawberry powder just adds 1/2 tsp of strawberry essence.