This braid is very similar to my Blueberry Cream Cheese Loaf but this time I made the dough from scratch rather than using the store bought kind. I mix the dough and let it rise overnight and in the morning I just shape it up and we have freshly bake bread for our breakfast or brunch. It might takes some time to prepare this bread but the results are worth the extra effort.
2 ¼ cups bread flour
¼ cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 packet (7 gram) dry yeast
½ cup + 2 tbsp milk
¼ cup butter
1 egg - beaten
3 apples – peel and sliced thinly
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp butter
¼ cup raisin
4 tbsp apricot jam
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. In a mixing bowl combined flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
2. In a saucepan melt the butter, turn off the heat and then add in the milk. Let it cool down and beat in the egg.
3. Add the milk mixture into the flour and knead into smooth dough. Cover the dough and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight.
4. To prepare the filling. Melt the butter and sugar; add in the apple and lemon juice. Cook until the apple is soft and the juice nearly evaporated. Turn off the heat and add in the cinnamon and raisins. Mix well and set it aside to cool down.
5. Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a lightly flour work surface. Roll out the dough to about 18" x 12” rectangle. Spread the apricot jam down the middle and top it up with the apple filling.
6. On each long side, cut about 1” wide strip and about 2” into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternative strips at an angle across the filling. Pinch end to seal tight. Cover and let it rise for 30 minutes.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F, brush the braid with egg wash and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and let it cool completely on wire rack.
8. Combined the glaze and drizzle all over the braid.
I am submitting this bread to Yeastspotting