Friday, January 19, 2007
I like making my own sambal. This is a versatile sambal and I used it for my mee hoon goreng, nasi goreng, sambal okra , sambal prawns or just eat it with my nasi lemak.
Mee hoon goreng
1/2 pound of red chilies
20 dried chilies (soak in hot water and remove seeds)
150 gram shallots
10 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of dried shrimp
2 stalk of serai (lemongrass)
10 gram of shrimp paste/belachan
2 inches of ginger
1/4 cup of tamarind juice
sugar and salt to taste
1) Blend all the ingredients with some oil except for tamarind juice, shrimp paste, salt and sugar.
2) Heat oil in a wok and pour in the blended ingredients.
3) Once the ingredients starts to bubble lower the flame to medium and simmer for 45 mintues.
4) Add in sugar, shrimp paste, salt and tamarind juice.
5) Continue to stir to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
6) Simmer until the sambal is reddish-brown in colour and oil separated from the mixture.
7) Cool and store for future use.