Autumn is here and apples are on sale everywhere. It gets as low as $0.59 a pound and as usual I will load them up. I am not a huge fan of eating them as it is so I usually add it into my juice or bake with it. I will make tarts , add it into banana bread and make cake out of it. This is just a simple butter cake with the addition of apples in it. Great for afternoon tea or have it with or morning coffee.
1 cup/2 sticks of butter – room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ cup milk
3 apples – I used gala apple
2 tbsp apricot jam
1. Grease and line an 8” round baking pan. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F. Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set it aside.
2. Peel and core the apple. Cut it into 1/2” cube and reserve some slices to garnish the top.
3. In a mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in one egg at a time and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla.
4. Turn down the speed of the mixer. Slowly add in the flour mixture in 3 badges, alternating with milk. Mix until combined. Fold in the apple cubes. Mix well.
5. Pour the batter into the baking pan. Smooth the top. Arrange the apple slices on top. Bake the cake for an hour till golden brown or until skewer comes out clean when tested.
6. Removed from oven. Let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then turn it out on the cooling rack. 7. Warm up the apricot jam in the microwave for 15 - 18 seconds and brush it all over the top of the cake.