I just love these cute mini sweet peppers. They were so colorful and I just can’t resist buying it. Carlos has been putting them in his salad but I am not a fan of eating them raw as I can’t digest it too well. I will be repeating it the whole day. So I decided to stuff them with some ground beef and baked them with some marinara sauce.
You can serve this as an appetizer, a side dish or like us we have it with some toasted bread for our dinner. They were so good as the pepper turns out so sweet after roasting in the oven and the meat on inside stays moist. In fact Carlos asked me to make more the next time so he can have the leftovers the next day…. Enjoy!
18-20 mini sweet peppers
2 cups of marinara sauce – can be homemade or store bought
For the filling:
1 pound lean ground beef
½ cups breadcrumbs
2 tbsp chopped chives
2 shallots – chopped
2 clove garlic – chopped
4 tbsp milk
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combined all the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix well and set it aside. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degree F.
2. Wash and cut part of the steams of the peppers. Pat it dry on paper towel. Make a slit in each baby bell pepper with a paring knife, cutting from stem to tip.
3. Stuff about 2 tsp of the meat mixture (depend on the size of the peppers) into each pepper using your fingers or a small spoon.
4. Spread enough marinara sauce to cover the base of the baking dish. Arrange the stuff pepper on top of the sauce and pour the balance of the sauce on top.
5. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake it for half an hour. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 15 minutes or until peppers are soft and the meat is done.
6. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Note: The peppers can be stuffed ahead of time, cover and refrigerate. Bring back to room temperature before baking it.