The pictures of this dish have been sitting in my file for a long time and it is time to post it out. I made this chicken dish for the AFF – Japan event but I just can’t find the time to post it during that time because of work commitment. This is a simple recipe yet very satisfying. I cooked this in a skillet instead of grilling it but you can always do so.
4 boneless chicken thighs
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup mirin
¼ cup sake
¼ cup Japanese soy sauce or regular soy sauce
2 tbsp light brown sugar
Pepper to taste
1. Combined all the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until reduced and thickens. You should have about ½ cup. Set it aside to cool.
2. Clean and remove the skin of the thighs (you can always leave it on). Pat it dry with paper towel. Prick the meat with a fork for the flavors to penetrate. Lightly sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
3. Heat a skillet over medium, cook the thigh for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a lightly brown. Lower the heat if needed.
4. Add in about 4-5 tbsp of sauce into the skillet. Turn to coat the chicken, increase the heat if needed. Let the chicken cook in the bubbling sauce for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken often and let the sauce coat the chicken.
5. Once the chicken is full done and sauce dries up remove the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Cut across the grain, serve the chicken with rice.