I love making linzer cookies as I think they are the most beautiful I ever made. Beside the look, I just love the taste of this light shortbread combined with a tiny dollop of jam in the middle. They are just perfect with a cup of coffee and tea. They might look delicate but they are quite easy to put together. It just involves a few extra steps compare to the regular cookies but the end results are all worth it. I made quite a few of these to give it out to my friends and neighbors.
To my dearest family, friends and blog readers,
May peace, happiness and goodwill be with you not only on Christmas, but throughout the year and beyond. Wishing you Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
2 stick/1 cup butter – room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2/3 cup ground pistachio
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Some strawberry jam
Some powder sugar (optional)
1. Combined flour, ground pistachio, salt and cinnamon. Mix well and set it aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla and mix well.
3. Add in flour mixture, mix only until combined. Form dough into 2 disks, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill it for 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. On a flour surface roll out the dough ¼” thick, using linzer cookies cutter, cut half of the dough whole and half with cut outs. Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Cool cookies on sheet for 2 minutes before removing it to cooling rack.
5. Spread the whole cookies with jam and top cookies with the cut outs. Gently press them together. If desired, lightly dust the cookies with powder sugar.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #26 – Creative Christmas Motif Bakes! hosted by Alan of Travellingfoodies.