I baked this cake for my sister’s birthday last week. In our family we prefer our cake plain without any type of frosting and this cake is just great for us. Just a light drizzle of lemony glaze really brightens up the flavor of this cake.
3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) of butter
1 cup of sugar
2 1/2 cup of flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp of vanilla
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of chopped walnuts
3 tbsp of butter
½ cup of flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp of cinnamon powder
1 cup of powder sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a tube pan. Mix all the streusel ingredients together and set it aside.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl and set it aside. Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy and creamy.
3. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Until well combined. Mix in vanilla. Mix dry ingredients and yogurt alternately into butter mixture in 3 additions. Mix well.
4. Pour 1/2 of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of streusel mixture. Pour the balance batter on top of the streusel. Sprinkle the balance of the streusel on top of the cake.
5. Bake the cake until golden brown or tester inserted at the center comes out clean. It will take about an 1 hour. Cool cake in pan. To remove the cake from pan.
6. Whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice together until smooth. Drizzle over the cake.