I bought 2 punnets of beautiful strawberries from the produce place last week and it turns out to be sour. Carlos refused to eat it so it's sitting in the fridge drying away. Since we both love pies I decided to make some berries tarts with it. I especially liked it a lot because is something sweet but definitely on the lighter side as dessert go.
1 1/2 cup of flour
1/2 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of sugar
1 stick (8 tbsp) of cold butter
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp of very cold water
1. In a large bowl mixed together flour, sugar and salt. Using your hand or pastry cutter rub the cold butter into the flour until it resembles coarse cornmeal or breadcrumbs.
2. Add in egg yolk and cold water and mix until dough come together. Form it into a disk and chilled the dough for an hour before using it.
For the filling:
3 cups of berries - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries & blackberries
4 tbsp of sugar
juice of one lemon
2 tbsp of cornflour
1 egg - beaten
1) Mixed all the filling ingredients except the egg and set aside.
2) Roll out the pastry to about 1/8" thick and line the pastry into the tart pan.
3) Put the filling into the tart pan and cover the top with the balance of the pastry.
4) Brush the top with beaten egg and sprinkle with some sugar on it.
5) Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown.