I like making this kind of buns with savory filling as this is something that Carlos will eat. I usually baked a big batch as this way he can warm it up and eat it whenever he wants. It can be for his lunch or snacks. I gave a few to Nini’s and she likes it too. I used the same dough recipe as the Spam buns as I find the dough is very easy to work with and also the buns stays soft even the next day. With this basic dough you can put any filling in it. It can be sweet like red bean paste or kaya.
Ingredients for the dough:
3 ½ cups flour
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp dried yeast
1 cup milk
80 gram butter
1 egg – beaten
Ingredients for filling:
2 cans tuna in water
2 shallots – chopped
1 red chili – chopped
2 tomatoes – removed seeds, cut into small cubes
2 spring onions – cut small
4 tbsp mayo
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat up the milk to about 100 degree F. Add in 1 tbsp sugar and dried yeast. Mix well and set it aside for 10 minutes.
2. In the meantime combined the flour, the balance sugar and ½ tsp salt in the mixing bowl of the stand mixer. Mix well.
3. Once the yeast mixture become foamy, add 1 egg to the flour follows by the yeast mixture. Turn on the mixer with the dough hook attachment and mix and knead the bread until combined. Add in the butter. Continue to knead for 7-8 minutes till it forms into a smooth ball.
4. Remove from dough from the bowl, give a few knead by hand on a floured work surface. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rise in a warm place until double in size. It takes over an hour.
5. In the meantime, drain the water from the can tuna, mashed it up with a fork, add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined. Set it aside.
6. Remove the dough onto the flour work surface, punch out the air, and divide the dough into 15-16 equal portions. Roll it into balls. Let it rest for 10 min.
7. Flatten each of the dough and fill it with a tablespoon of tuna filling. Place all finished buns on a line baking sheet, lightly cover with kitchen towel, and let rise until doubled in size (about 1 hour in warm weather, longer in winter months).
8. Egg wash each of the buns and then bake in a pre-heated 375 degree F oven for about 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.