This must be one of the easiest Nonya kuih to make. All you have to do is put all the ingredients together and bake. This cake is a lighter version than the usual one as I cut down on the sugar and coconut milk. This kuih is especially good for breakfast or afternoon tea.
2 lbs of grated cassava – thawed and drain the juice well
2 tbsp of melted butter
240 grm of palm sugar (gula melaka)or brown sugar
2 pandan (screwpine) leaves
3/4 cup of water
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp of custard power or cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1. Cut the palm sugar into small pieces, bring the 3/4 water to boil and add in the palm sugar and pandan leaves. Simmer until the sugar melted. Strain and let it cool
2. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line an 8" x 8" pan with foil, grease the foil.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine cassave (ubi kayu), sugar syrup, eggs, custard powder,melted butter and salt. Miix everything really well.
4. Pour mixture into greased pan. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour. If the top is still not browned after an hour switch your oven to broil and broil for 1 minute until the top is brown. Check constantly to make sure it's not burnt.
5. Cool completely before cutting into it.