I know is not Christmas yet but when I saw the fruit cake in Nonya's blog I just have to make this. I always like fruit cake and is difficult to find a good one here in American as they are way too sweet and overwhelm with almond flavour which I don't like. Here is a very simple recipe which I used for years and it always turn out good.
600 grm of mixed dried fruits (currants, sultanas, pineapple, apricots, etc)
1/2 cup of dark rum.
250 grms of butter
1 cups of dark brown sugar
2 cups of flour
1 tsp of baking powder
Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
1) Soak the dry fruits with rum for a week in the refrigerator
2) Prepare a baking tin and lined with double parchment paper
3) Cream butter and sugar until creamy
4) Add in eggs one at a time till well mix before adding another egg
5) Mix in the lemon and orange zest
6) Add in soak dry fruits and then fold in sifted flour and baking powder
7) Pour batter into prepared cake tin.
8) Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree F oven for 1 1/2 hour or until centre is firm to touch.
9) Let the cake cool in the tin before removing the cake.
Note : You can keep this cake up to 3 months in the fridge. Wrap it up properly in aluminium foil and drizzle it with rum at least once a week.